Thursday, January 26, 2017

I Am [Gary] Number Four

I ended up being too late to catch the red bus, and chose to take the purple one up to the TSC rather than stand around for ten minutes and cut it close with my classes. Then I walked to the fine arts building. We got our take-home tests, so I'll have to focus on it over the weekend.

After class, I headed out to wait for the red bus. We all know where this is going by now. I texted it, and it was supposed to be here in five minutes. Ten minutes later, it still said five minutes. I dryly noted this out loud, and one of the other girls with me was looking at a map that tracked all the buses around the campus. Apparently, it had pulled over or something, and it was soon taken off the route. Rather than wait another twelve minutes for the next one, I decided to just walk.

Of course, fool that I was, I chose not to take the blue bus while it was there, because I don't like crossing the street and walking to my building; I prefer being dropped at the door. After walking across campus to the fine arts building and walking back again, I was stubbornly determined to enjoy a ride back to Blue Square.

By the time the purple bus arrived, the red bus had already come and gone. So, I guess I could have waited for it and ridden it around and still made it to the TSC in time to catch the purple bus. And then of course, the purple bus was having problems. Something to do with its emergency door, I think, so it was blaring an alarm and the workers/drivers/repair people/whoever spent a good five to ten minutes messing with it. Eventually, they gave up and I had the pleasure of listening to the alarm. Karma. At least I didn't need to walk.

I was able to make my second review comment for the interior design assignment today, as well as do my English reading assignments and half of my abnormal psych one. I also made it halfway through my math assignment before I headed out for my second class of the day (abnormal psych), which was pretty nice because then I only had a few questions left to answer when I got back. I still have to take a quiz tomorrow, but it shouldn't be very hard.

I did a lot of homework today, and some studying via Quizlet (especially on the bus). Still anxious about that coming exam, but our teacher has dropped hints about a lot of items we'll be seeing on the test, and I have them starred, so hopefully I do okay. I do prefer the matching game on the app to doing it on a computer- it's just so much faster to tap than it is to drag. I have about a hundred and fifty terms to juggle, but this seems to be a good way to get them down.

Apart from the homework, tonight I had a turkey and cheese sandwich for dinner and did dishes and laundry. I also had an amusing conversation with that friend of mine who often draws. Butch Hartman's go-to name for side characters seems to be "Gary". Some time ago, during one of her streams, she drew the two more prominent Garys with their clothes swapped (as well as Gary the snail from "Spongebob" on the side). "Dadlantis" brought us a fourth Gary (Well, third, unless you want to get technical like me and count Gary Hardcastle, but he doesn't entirely count for reasons I won't go into here because none of you would care).

This new Gary is a mermaid (merboy?) who is very awkward, and a prince. So I told my friend that she needed to draw him next to those other Garys from that long-ago stream. She kept me updated throughout the day as she drew mermaids. Prince Gary is very chubby, and he looked adorable. He has an orange tail in canon, so after some discussion, we agreed he needed to be based on a sunburst anthias, which is a gorgeous saltwater fish fitting for an Atlantian prince. It's also hilarious because he's so awkward, but now he's very pretty. And he has glasses, but my friend decided that made no sense, and gave him scuba goggles instead.

Then she started getting really into it. To make the scuba goggles work, she declared he collects lots of junk from the ocean (which wouldn't even be a stretch, given the plot of "Dadlantis"). Her biggest concern was that this would make him too much like Ariel, but I told her I'd give it some thought and pull something together for her. And we briefly brought up Atlantian social structures and politics, and tail colors, and a tentative theory of mine I never went through with that the mermaids and the genies could be distant cousins. It gave me something to do during study breaks.

Then I snuck in a joke about how I'd claimed Happy Peppy Gary for my own, and the third friend in our trio is a big Imaginary Gary fan. Therefore, I declared, he was her Gary now. Oh, she tried to fight it at first ("Wait. But. You wanted me to draw him. I was just helping") but I insisted that "You don't choose your Gary. Your Gary chooses you". That left her to make amused comments about, "I can't believe I just accidentally saddled myself with the mer-Gary", which I responded to with, "Sorry, I have a strict no-return policy on gifts". Her filename for her chubby prince is "I'm growing attached", and there were additional jokes about "'Chip Off the Old Chip' AU where instead of a song called "Find Your Voice", Chip Skylark sings one called "Find Your Gary".

So it's a thing now, and eventually I'm going to need to draw the sunburst anthias prince myself. Once school and studies aren't so pressing, of course, because I do in fact have my priorities straight. Then I insisted we give him the full first name of Gerald, because I had already given Happy Peppy Gary the first name Garrett, and if there's anything worse than multiple characters with the same first name, it's multiple characters with the same first full name too. She agreed. After that I ran a Google search and it turns out Gerald means "ruler with a spear", so now he has a spear too.

Prince Gary only has two very short appearances in this weird little episode, but we spruced him up and made him our precious. This isn't an uncommon thing with us. Don't ask what I did with Steve, the bizarre half-leprechaun who has been nicknamed The Destroyer of Canon and Headcanon Alike. I kid you not, this obscure little brat defies all the rules. Actually, I drew him the other day in response to a joke about, "Is there any world-building inconsistency you DON'T have an answer for?"

He's wearing a lampshade

So that was how I spent my evening. How was yours?