Monday, January 30, 2017

Preferable To Rump Roast

My phone went through a new update last night, and now when I flick the tab at the bottom of the screen, it comes up with a menu for music volume, not for turning airplane mode on and off and adjusting the screen brightness, both of which I am known to do often, though the latter I often do ten or fifteen times throughout the day. It seems ridiculous since the old version had a music volume adjuster too. If Apple is going to release constant updates, could they at least leave some old features in the settings menu somewhere so we could customize our phones with the features we actually want? Sigh.

At least our presentation in English went well! We were the first group up and I don't think I messed up too badly on my role as "flipper of the slides". After that, I had several hours to myself to get a lot of work done. In my psychology as a career class, we had a speaker give us some pointers on writing resumes and cover letters, which is one of our upcoming assignments for the class. Fun stuff. Although I was irritated when I realized I'd left my hat and scarf in the guest room back home...

I stayed on campus after that class was over, because interior design was only an hour or so later. I crossed from the Emma Eccles Jones building to the TSC and camped out in the rear food court area with a bag of Little Bites chocolate chip muffins and my laptop. While there, I polished off my homework assignment for psychology and made it farther on my statistics assignment too, which is due on February 2nd. Almost done!

Interior design came after that. Our subject for the day was "emphasis and subordinates". One of our slides had these images on it:


My teacher praised the room on the right and was disgusted by the room on the left, because it's too cluttered (which it is, but it's still somewhere I'd like to live. Maybe because it's so big?) The picture doesn't quite do justice to how hideous I found the room on the right. Maybe it was that yellow square (mirror?) on the door, because it was a very ugly color. Here it doesn't look so bad, actually.

I also thought it was funny that my teacher showed us another room and talked about how cramped it seemed. It's really quite funny because he's over six feet tall and I'm about five feet. To me, it seemed like that room had plenty of space, because I could have stood on the counter and barely reached the ceiling with my arms raised. I'll need to keep these things in mind if I have to design a room later in the semester.

That was my last class of the day. As I headed back to Blue Square, I stopped by that igloo on the quad for pictures inside. I barely had to duck to get through that door, so you can kind of get a sense of how big it was.



For dinner, I made macaroni and read in my abnormal psych book for quite awhile. Then I went over more vocabulary (which I've been doing over the last several days- I enjoy playing the matching game on the Quizlet app). Our first abnormal psych test is tomorrow. Nerve-wracking!

Earlier today, Alison had texted me asking if Demetria and I wanted to have lunch with her sometime. I replied that we had actually been wanting to invite her over for board games and cookies, but were waiting to confirm dates with the girl we're visit teaching this weekend. I'd bought cookie dough that Demetria can't eat and figured Alison would enjoy splitting the cookies with me. We're leaning towards her coming over on the 10th, and we'll see if that still holds up later.

I told Alison that even if Demetria is busy with all her singing preparations and game night wouldn't be for awhile, I'd be willing to have lunch with her this week. She said she'd been wanting to go to the Skyroom for awhile, which is the fancy place above the TSC that I haven't been to yet.

My picky tongue was regretting walking into this trap, but it IS Alison and she's cool, and they do take meal card swipes there, so at least I can justify this visit as the food being already paid for. I checked the menu and we made plans to meet for lunch at 12:30 this Thursday. Hmm. Time to embrace my inner Anti-Fairy, apparently (everyone knows chicken cordon bleu is the food that no Anti-Fairy can resist). For research! Aha... It's good to stretch outside my comfort zone anyway. We'll see what happens. I might like it. Plus, I've been wanting to ride that elevator and see the place too.

I also learned an interesting fact today. My siblings and I used to watch LeapFrog videos all the time growing up. I don't remember why I was thinking of "Letter Factory". I had no reason to be. But I've seen it so many times that even years later, I still have almost the entire thing memorized. For some reason as I was sitting down at my computer to start blogging tonight, the scene where Professor Quigley gives Tad his business card popped into my head. Tad says, "Nice to meet you", and I remember the exact inflections of every word.

So as I was reaching for the keyboard, I froze. That voice... No, it couldn't be.

Yes it is. I looked it up. Debi Derryberry (Why can't my last name be Derryberry?) who voiced Tad also voiced Jimmy Neutron, and I will never unhear this. Nailed it. Even all these years later, I'm good with quotes. The more you know!