Monday, January 16, 2017

Twenty Pounds of Rice

I got up just in time to see the latter half of "School's Out! - The Musical", aka the best "Fairly OddParents" episode of all time. Drat! I would've gotten out of bed earlier if I'd known it was on, heh. Apparently they played all the episodes first, then did all the movies today. Which means I missed my chance to see "Channel Chasers" with the sound correctly synced at the end, but that's fine, I guess.

Ooh, and my friend was doing a stream this morning, so I popped in for a bit to see how she was doing. She drew some Sams from "Danny Phantom", then asked me if I could give her a quick request. Knowing that she'd told me she'd never drawn Youngblood before, I suggested "green ghost pirate child". She responded with, "I said quick". Fair enough.

I told her to draw Dani with ice cream instead, and she added in Mark from "Fairly OddParents". While she did that, I drew Youngblood myself, since I've wanted to draw his ponytail from the back for awhile.

He's quick to ME!

But she surprised me by sketching a Youngblood headshot after Dani, which was nice of her. Then we had a long talk about what constitutes as "formal wear" on the planet of Yugopotamia. Anyway.

I feel like I've been slammed with a relatively unfair amount of homework for it being the first week of school and all, but to be fair it was a three-day weekend and the teachers probably knew that, and I'm not always as fast as I think I am. Perhaps I took more breaks than necessary.

I carefully combed through two more textbook chapters today - the last of the nine or so I've read this last week - and added all my vocabulary words to Quizlet. I have ninety-six terms for this semester so far. Additionally, I took a quiz on plagiarism for English, and worked my way through a tutorial about how to find scholarly articles using a certain web program. They have a neat citation button that automatically gives you a citation to copy and paste at a click.

Finally! At about 5:00 this afternoon, I was done! I'll be getting more homework soon, but I knew I had a lot to tackle and having MLK day to give me extra time to finish stuff was welcome. I made myself a turkey and cheese sandwich and had some Blue Mint Aggie ice cream.

Demetria came home a little after 7:00 and caught me up to speed on how her trip had gone. She said it was enjoyable, but very long at times. Lots of singing to listen to.

Additionally, I forgot to mention that Demetria went shopping last week. She had ordered online at Walmart and requested I think four types of rice each in five-pound bags. She eats a lot of rice and she wanted to try some different kinds. Only, WalMart didn't have a five-pound bag of her favorite rice in stock. Instead, they presented her with a twenty-pound one. So we have a lot of rice now.

Tonight, I gave myself some time to write, which I haven't had the chance to do for the last week between studying and all those drawings I was itching to do because I just never found myself in the mood for typing more after a long day of staring at words and screens and typing up vocabulary.

I do a lot of short stories because I get inspired for scenes that wouldn't fit right in a novel (due to the set up and closing scene at the end, which in its nature wraps things up in my signature bittersweet way and leaves the reader to draw their own conclusions at times). This one is about 2,000 words so far and coming along pretty well. Its focus is on detail and setting (I struggle a lot with setting). Specifically details like sound (heaters turning on, rain and thunder), movement and feel (squeaking of a hospital bed, gauze on the arms that cover blistered burns, the tug of an IV tube), and smell (fir trees and peppermint for the winter season, though admittedly I'm not sure if a hospital would have scents like that in case it irritates the patients).

Perhaps it's not interesting to the rest of you, but that's how I closed my night. This will be one of my shorter pieces, maybe coming out to be 5,000 words or so. I need to get used to writing short again if I hope to publish. For the last year my chapters have averaged at 12,000 words, and it's gotten to the point where much less feels jarring to me. Well.

Additionally, I mentioned this the other day, but over the last week I did a color study on different ghosts from "Danny Phantom". I can pretty much confirm now that except for one instance of Ember strumming on her guitar (she can apparently use every color, but purple is her signature one), Youngblood is the only one capable of using red energy. This pleases me.





Green appears to be the most common color by a long shot. Correlations with color and ghost energy are a lot harder to spot than correlations between the colors of Fairy magic and the circumstances. I had those done in like two days. The ghosts seem determined to trip me up at every step. C'mon, Butch Hartman- it's not like you to add things on accident! Throw me a bone!