Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The Blue Flute

Back to stats class! We're into some pretty tricky stuff right about now, and I don't think there's any way I would make it through this class without Aplia's walk-through questions and "you get three attempts and we'll take the highest" system, and with Jeff to help me through take-home tests. This class would be an immense struggle if I had to memorize all of these things instead of being able to refer to my notes.

One thing did irk me today: towards the end, my teacher paused after working out a section of a problem and asked if anyone had questions. I said, "Yes, can you go over that again?" A lot of the (large) class laughed at me for that, which I was a little bothered by. To me, it was obvious that "that" referred to the last sentence or two she'd said about the F value and its formula (I wanted to know the difference between F statistic and F ratio, because what she'd done didn't look like what I'd had in my notes). 

I guess my classmates were laughing because they thought I wanted her to redo the entire problem? Hmm. Do they understand the English language and context? Did they not recognize her pause between the earlier work and the last stuff she'd done? Why would "that" refer to something she'd done before her transition to the next slide? Anyway. It bugged me to be laughed at. I was feeling tired, class was almost over, and math isn't my strength. Mostly, I'm just irritated because I can't figure out WHY they were laughing if it isn't what I thought it was, because that would mean something flew over my head, and I don't like that feeling. Ah, well.

We talked more about personality disorders in abnormal psych today. I'm enjoying this unit a lot more than the previous one about drugs. We watched a long video about a skateboarder who was insistent on redoing his tricks over and over to get the perfect one for his videos, even though the things that bothered him were really small, and his friends kept trying to convince him he did great. He looked at the videos later and admitted that they weren't as bad as he had hoped. I find it interesting.

It was nice that I cleaned their tank last night, because my frogs laid tiny eggs today. But then ate them. I guess that's what they do. Well, I wouldn't have known how to take care of tadpoles anyway. A bit of research suggested I'd want a "ten gallon tank" with certain requirements, and I'd have to change "1/10th of the water every day" because filters are dangerous, and feed them "live shrimp hatchlings", and... yeah, that's not happening right now.

A few Internet friends decided to mutually spam me with surprise drawings of one of my characters today-

Flute as I drew her

Flute as a new friend drew her

Flute as another new friend drew her

Receiving gifts like this, especially as a surprise, really touches me... Just, first someone has to LIKE something I created, then they have to THINK about drawing something, and then SPEND TIME doing it, of their own FREE WILL even knowing it may not be reciprocated, and it means a lot. So that lightened my mood. I don't know either of these people well at all yet, but it's nice to make new friends! And nice to have people who like me and appreciate what I do. 

Aunt Sam told me some time ago that editors/publishers instantly take notice if they find out you have a large following on the Internet, because there's a chance that those people will buy your book. I wouldn't call my following "large", but I think any bit helps, and I do have great friends who like and support me in life!