Tuesday, March 7, 2017

This Wasn't Supposed to Happen What Have We Done?

I had that meeting with my stats teacher today. I'd wanted to ask about labs on campus and figure out if she had any connections that might help me secure a position. She was startled to realize I was a freshman, but felt better when I clarified that I have enough credits to be a sophomore, and am on track to graduate in three years but might stay a fourth because my full-ride scholarship covers it.

I asked her about any labs that might study animal behavior, romantic relationships, or sleep. I also told her how I had been offered that place in that one lab before, but it hadn't worked with my schedule, even though I'd offered to drop a class. I asked her if I should contact them or expect to be contacted back, and she suggested I get a hold of them before class registrations. Oh, I didn't even think of that! Then I'd have an empty schedule! Nice.

She told me that while undergraduates may not get paid much at first, their prospects increase when they prove their dedication. It takes lots of money and time to train them, so the lab people like it when they see someone young and determined to learn and help out. It would be awesome if I could slot myself into an on-campus paid position like this, since I don't have a car. My stats teacher said I'd have a good chance in the summer, but my scholarship doesn't cover summer tuition, and I didn't apply for summer housing. Maybe next year.

I went back to work on things after I came home. I read........ many things about Mary Sues for that huge essay project in English class. It's slow work, but I figure that if I do a bit at a time, it'll be over soon. It's not as though procrastinating will make it go away, and I don't really have other homework during spring break, so now is the time (When I get back to school, I'll have to do another big interior design project. Gulp.)

I'm the kind of person who writes one-shots as a way to relax after a long day. Linzie doodles. Jen. Jen makes meme-worthy RPG stock games. And that's exactly what she did today when it was late in her timezone but she wasn't quite tired enough for bed yet. And she streamed it. I love her so much.

So, remember that AU concept from yesterday?

Jen couldn't decide what class to make Darcy at first but then I yelled 
at her because this child is kleptomaniac and should be a thief.
She also has a starting item that's some magical belt and so 
we changed her description to "It's not my belt." Because. Had to.

Jen recolored this boy's hair from brown to red. 
Every angle. Pixels. That's my girl.

My favorite part is that Mikey and Amanda (aka Mike and Mandy) each have eight expressions (copied and pasted from the show because Jen wanted to make something that was meant to look bad on purpose, but with serious sprites, except Bunsen who got a stock fish monster one), but Darcy only has one expression. It's beautiful.

I also made my first contribution sketch to this AU, seeing as Jen waved her hand and gave me free reign with manipulative Mikey. Although she changed the sprite she used for Amanda to give her proper coloring, she didn't want to make Mikey's sleeves white, so we decided he just gets a big soft sweater in this AU. With a soft wavy stripe instead of a sharp one:

My lonely chubby sweater boy with
his arm crushed by my spiral notebook

This is me and my friends. This is generally the type of thing we do. All the time. Every day. My sister likes to be silly with her friends by going out to the mall or the movies. I like to be silly with my friends by creating something. Anytime I do anything, I like to see an actual result for my efforts.

These aren't supposed to be anything great, and we're not trying to become popular with them or anything. That's not why we draw goofy things like this. It's not meant to be appreciated by anyone but each other. But when all three of us can draw at least ~somewhat~ decently, and one of us is a really good artist, the other a really good game developer, and yours truly a really good writer, you're bound to see those talents collide.  Life is good.