Monday, March 20, 2017

Worms and Colors

I was lucky enough to step outside of Blue Square just as the bus was loading people in, so I didn't miss it and have to wait another ten minutes or so. When I was crossing the quad to the building where my English class was, I noticed tons of smashed worms all over the sidewalk. Must have rained recently. A boy held open the door to the building for me, and two other boys waited so I could head inside first even though I was slightly behind them. That was kind of cute.

We were released early from English class since my teacher made it through her lecture quickly and no one raised their hand for questions. That meant I had plenty of time to speak with my adviser. She can't move me from being a pre-psych major to an official psych major until the semester ends, but she did give me contact information for my behavior teacher (and through him, the rat lab).

She looked over my schedule outline with me and we saw that two classes clashed in terms of timing. However, she was able to tell me about an apprenticeship opportunity at the Willow Park Zoo. By being an intern, I could earn credits for my apprenticeship course. I have to be the one to set everything up, however. Well.

It was still a long while before my career class - about an hour and a half - so I did lots of math while I waited, and looked over my abnormal psych words too. I hope I do well on the test. It looks like as long as I score 78%, I should still be able to pull an A in the class, assuming I score better on the other tests. I think I can pull 78%.

I had my career class and then interior design. We talked about color, and watched a really interesting video about color and language. In some languages people have the same words for blue and green (some African tribes, for example, have the word "zoozu" which means "dark colors", and the other colors I scribbled down are "vapu" - light colors - "borou" - some other, darker greens - and "dumbu" - reds, browns and another shade or two of green, I think). Apparently, they can't recognize a bright blue square among ten green ones. They just literally cannot see it, because of the role language plays in understanding colors. However, among twelve or so green squares on a screen, they could recognize which one was slightly different, and the difference was as obvious to them as the bright blue one would be to many of us.

I think I might have to incorporate this into "Stars and Finches" since Gavin and Ethel speak different languages, and she's from a first-world country while he's from a third-world one. Ethel perhaps would use the same word to mean "red, orange, and yellow", for example, since she lives in the tropics and mostly separates things into "green leaves", "white beaches", and "bright colors". Gavin, however, has both red and brown on his country's flag, so he would definitely need to know the difference.

(Although, I think in the current draft of the story, I made the grass red for some reason, and the sand might be a different color too. I think it was black. Hmm. I'll have to think about this.)

I made spaghetti for dinner. It usually tastes weird when I make it in my red pot, but today it was pretty good. That was nice. I spent a lot of time tonight altering between studying abnormal psych stuff, finishing my ethics assignment for my career class, and working on math. This week promises to be a busy one. Just gotta pull through!