Thursday, April 27, 2017

Essay Critique

I was able to meet with my English teacher today. When I came in, she said she was rather surprised that I'd asked to see her, because judging from my previous work, she thought I'd picked good sources and had a strong writing style. She'd wanted me to email me my essay draft (which I did on Tuesday) so that she could read over it before we met. However, I think she moved me to the bottom of to-do list. When we began, she told me that she hadn't actually looked over my essay, but that she had enough confidence in me that she felt good discussing its contents with me regardless. 

That was kind of flattering, but also concerning. It makes sense that I may not need as much help as some of the other students, but that doesn't mean I don't need any. This is my final paper, worth 300 points, and English (although still an A) is my lowest grade. I'd sort of wanted the fresh eyes to look over it. I guess I'll just have to read it again several times myself and ensure I didn't leave any spelling mistakes behind.

She did still have a few critiques to give me, and I'd highlighted segments of my essay before I'd sent it to her, so that made it easy to pick out the places I wanted to talk to her about. For example, I wanted some help in determining which of several sources was considered the more professional, since I'd found multiple articles that discussed the same topic. That was the main thing I'd wanted to talk to her about, although I suppose it wasn't a big deal and I could have picked without her. It was partially my excuse to see her and have her critique my essay before I'd be submitting it for a final grade.

All in all, my teacher really like it. Although I was writing about women in the media, she was excited that I had a fresh angle on it- about why Mary Sues (or superwomen as they're more often called in film) aren't necessarily positive representation. She said she found it interesting, and was of course glad I didn't have a generic essay about women being sexualized by the media and such. Before I left, she also said she was very glad that I had highlighted some areas and even written notes- notes asking about her opinion on two choices, and not merely asking her to fix my problems. Although I may not have gotten the "full" treatment, I guess I got the treatment that I needed.

I gathered bunches of pictures from Homestyler today. Again, while it's sad that it will be coming to an end, I'm grateful that we were given this opportunity to collect pictures of our renders rather than the site just shutting down all at once.

My abnormal psych teacher brought his eight-year-old daughter to work, because her calendar said it was take your daughter to work day and she was really excited about it. His class doesn't start until her school ends for the day, so that worked out fine. It was our last lesson of the semester. Although I had some concerns at the start, I did enjoy the class overall and learned a lot.

I finished my final online math assignment tonight and then spent the evening working on my essay, taking my teacher's advice into account. The changes she'd asked me to make were all pretty slight, such as dividing one paragraph into two. I also changed some phrasing to make it flow a little better. It's due tomorrow by midnight. I think I can pull this off!