Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Homestyled Out

I didn't have English or career today again! That was pretty nice. I had a long morning to myself before I headed out to meet with Jeff at 12:30. We worked on our math exams for two hours and finished all the pencil work. What's left to do is the online work. We're planning to meet and do that on Friday, because the class TA will be there and is willing to grade the tests right then, so we don't have to bring them to our teacher's fourth floor office next Thursday. Nice!

After that I went home for a little bit to drop off my test and grab some lunch. I went to abnormal psych... only, I wasn't supposed to have abnormal psych today. Oops. Luckily, abnormal psych is at 3:00, and interior design is at 3:30, rather than the other way around. So, I was early to interior design. That was nice.

Interior design was pretty empty today. I guess lots of people remembered it was a work day, and decided they didn't want to come. However, my teacher noticed that over half the class was missing, so he had us write our names for roll.

He also came around and gave us critiques on our work. Ironically, I was told that my kitchen was a little dark for mid-century modern, and that I should lighten it. This is ironic because if I took his suggestions into account, I'd end up being able to use the samples I picked up for my swatch board when at Home Depot with Mom, which means my original instinct for the design was right!

I also found out some... distressing news. The website where I've done my render, Homestyler, is shutting down. On April 30th, I won't be able to access it anymore. I didn't get an email or anything. I only found out because it became 4:00, and I was no longer able to edit my designs (apparently, for the first fifteen minutes of every hour, they no longer let you modify designs or save. I'm not sure what the point of this is, but maybe it saves them money? Or, in my case, is the only indication that the site has reached its end.)

I told my teacher that it would soon be shutting down, who told the people in the class- but of course, we were missing half the class. Hopefully my other classmates get their final projects finished! Homestyler is shutting down on the 30th, but our finals are due May 3rd!

After design class, I stopped by the Institute. I'd gotten an email that read, "Thank you for attending another class while [my teacher's name] was away. Please come to the office to mark your attendance and reading." Oops. I don't know why joining other classes didn't occur to me the past two weeks. I explained my situation regarding the emails and the "Do not contact" option. Apparently, in that first email that had been sent, we had been asked to attend other classes. Oh.

Anyway, the office lady was nice. I told her I had come both weeks, but left because I'd thought we'd been excused for class. I guess I hadn't really thought it through. She was understanding and let me check my attendance off anyway, and I told her I'd be back to attend a class tonight. She recommended Room 107.

I did a bit of homework and got a snack when I came home, then headed back up to Institute again shortly after. I attended class in Room 107, and I was startled by how much I enjoyed it! Our main topic was Adam-ondi-Ahmen, and we talked about several things that are evidently considered "Church secrets" that the Church knows about, but doesn't like to advertise to the general world population.  It was really cool!

Additionally, the teacher told us about a time he had received a yellow envelope in the mail. It was a letter signed by the first presidency, inviting him to a meeting at the Salt Lake temple. Several priesthood holders - I think all the stake presidents in Utah at the time, or something along those lines - were invited, but were told they shouldn't talk about it with anyone aside from their wives. He received a call from his friend pretty soon, asking him if he had received "a correspondence he wasn't supposed to discuss". He said yes, and his friend said, "Me too. What time should I pick you up?" Ha.

Anyway, they went to Salt Lake shortly after. Specifically, they approached the Salt Lake temple at its underground entrance, and had to show the letter to people every time they went through a door. My teacher said that he and his friend were the first ones there, and as they were arriving, the first presidency came through the parking garage on golf carts. Apparently they were racing (though of course, not very fast). My teacher and his friend waved, and Thomas S. Monson said, "Mine's faster than Gordon's!" and drove off. Nice.

It sounded like they had a cool meeting, and I really enjoyed the lesson. That's what I think Institute is supposed to be- teaching people about things that don't normally get taught in church. Up until now, seminary and Institute have felt more like we're just having the same old concepts beat into our heads, and its entire purpose is to have teenagers attend so that they'll think about the church throughout the week instead of just on Sunday, in the hopes of keeping them from straying. Seminary and Institute have never seemed very useful to me. But I did really enjoy learning about things that I don't know.