Saturday, April 29, 2017

Hut, Hut, Hike

Demetria, Alison and I made plans to hang out together to celebrate the end of school. Alison was really hoping to go on a hike, since that's something she enjoys and she hadn't had the opportunity to go yet. Demetria, however, had music recitals to attend (to support her music friends) and wanted to get some practice done for her upcoming tests.

So instead of picking her up after our hike and taking her with us to get ice cream as we originally planned, we decided to go for a waffle breakfast instead. We sought out a little hole-in-the-wall place called Waffle Iron. Demetria said they have gluten-free waffles here that she could enjoy. It's a little cafe, and even has a small lounge area with soft chairs and board games. The waffles were great too! I had one with cinnamon sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.


 Alison and Demetria

After our tasty breakfast, Alison and I dropped off Demetria, swung by my apartment so I could drop off my debit card and grab by coat (it turned out to be colder out than I'd expected) and check the address of the hiking trail we wanted to visit. When we found it, I texted the location to Mom, since I know she likes it when I do that. I'd never been to the place and didn't know what to expect; the guy at the HPER building had told me the trail wasn't steep, but some of the online comments about the trail suggested that it was. It's always nice to let people know where you're going if you're heading into the mountains.

Alison and I drove to the trail head, which wasn't too far up the canyon. A large group of people was already gathered there, so we drove on for awhile to enjoy the pretty canyon. We circled back after awhile and they were gone, so we parked, grabbed our water, and headed up.




 
 
 
 

  




 

  
I actually enjoyed the hike a lot. Although I'm sure it's beautiful in autumn, it was also nice that the trees didn't have leaves, so it wasn't too dark and you could see in every direction. The weather and temperature were perfect- it was a nice, cool day, so we didn't get overheated. The trail felt like a natural path, which was nice for me since I don't enjoy walking up paved hills. It was narrow and ran along the edge of the hill as we continued our climb. I love heights, so I enjoyed the feel of that. The hike took about two and a half hours in total, up and down, including the several minutes we lingered at the top and the few times we stopped for a break or picture opportunities. We saw some deer along the way, and kept running across these two ladies who took pictures of us, and we took pictures of them in return.

The weather was perfect during the hike, but it was funny because when we stepped inside the cave, the wind was whistling and the temperature dropped ten or fifteen degrees. There was ice everywhere! When you stepped outside and moved away from the cave mouth, it warmed up again. I guess that's why they call it the Wind Cave!

I talked with Alison a ton during the hike, of course. She's turning in her mission papers this summer and won't be coming back to Utah State for awhile. She also needs to move out as early as Tuesday. I'm glad I have a few more days before I need to be gone!

After our hike, Alison took me back to Blue Square and we said our good-byes. She gave me her email so we can keep in touch during her mission. Crazy that I'm of that age!