Wednesday, April 5, 2017

I Called the Guinea Pig Biology

We wrote our introductory and conclusion paragraphs for our big essays in English today- or drafts for them, anyway. We were supposed to give feedback on them, but my partner didn't say anything more than, "I like it, it's good, that's interesting", and seemed slightly offended as I tried to offer suggestions for how to improve her paragraph. She kept cutting me off and defending herself. Well, hopefully she gets a good grade in the end! I should be able to do okay myself even with my limited feedback.

Then I went to my stats lab, and my career class after that. Between the class changes, I caught up with Jen and Linzie. Jen had part of a first draft she really wanted me to proofread for her, so I did, and Linzie played around with her hipster Rudy design.

Another friend tipped me off today that apparently, Butch Hartman revealed Bunsen may or may not have a legitimate guinea pig for a girlfriend. That was pretty funny since they all know how much inspiration I've drawn from guinea pigs when trying to piece together his anatomy and draw him in my style. Speaking of which, I've got a couple of drawings from Conference that I colored-



Not too bad! Not completely in love with the stark color "fades", but I can be satisfied enough. Although his face is flat in the show, I really wanted to see him with a muzzle. You can see I gave him scales for his pangolin tail too, and I sharply curved both horns. It's fun to have decent enough art skills that I can actually take a character and draw him or her in the unique style that I apparently have these days!

... Still, it's gonna be nice to get back to writing again. Drawings are good for relaxing between study sessions, but I love typing out words.

Jen's spent the last week or two readying for her move. A few days ago, she went down and saw the place with her family. It was a several hour drive from where they live, and it's a sort of village. She sent pictures. Pretty nice. Today, though, she told us some stories about her neighbors... one of which was about how they apparently caught, cooked, and ate stew made from the landlord's cat on their lawn. He stumbled across scattered pieces of its body in their backyard later, and is the one who relayed this story to Jen's family. Hmm. So, Jen's a little worried about her dog, but hopefully things work out for her!

She also told me that her landlord looks just like the Head Pixie, short of the hat and super-tall forehead. She rustled a stack of his papers with her sleeve when in his office one time and knocked a few askew, and got a deadpan stare for it. He apparently also started to call her "J-" at one point, but then stopped and switched to "young lady", which was amusing because he hadn't been introduced to her yet (but had probably gotten her name from paperwork).

She said he had a strong handshake and was very nice and professional, and to top it all off, she woke up the next morning and freaked out a bit because there was a queen wasp in her bedroom. We've talked about pixies being based on wasps, so we got a laugh out of that. H.P., watchin' over Jen in these trying times like her godparent, pfft.

I made it to my interior design class by 3:30, only to remember as I walked in that my teacher had said we wouldn't be meeting for class today, but he'd be leaving the space available for people to work on their swatch board assignments in case they didn't have much space in their apartments. Oops. There were several people there who were confused, though (mostly some who hadn't been to class on Monday), so I explained what the project was. I did this a few times as more people came in, but they were all very grateful. One recommended an online program called Homestyler that's good for doing renders with, so I'll have to check it out.

I hung out in the TSC for awhile to work on stuff and study as I waited to see if I was hungry enough for the Marketplace. Eventually I went in to eat. In Institute, we talked about the lady in the crowd who touched the hem of Jesus's garments in the hope of being healed, and the time Jesus raised the girl from the dead. We talked about Jewish prayer cloths and things, and the fringes on them. Ever since Daylight Saving's time, the sun comes in really strongly where I sit. It's nice to have my hat, so I can keep some of the bright light off.

After riding the evening bus home, I worked on my interior design assignment, studied, and watched the first episode of "Milo Murphy's Law" tonight. It's made by the same creators who did "Phineas and Ferb" and the art style reflects this. It's about the fictional descendant of the namesake for Murphy's Law: that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. Milo is apparently cursed with a string of constant bad luck, so... yep! Everything that could possibly wrong goes wrong, and he has a reputation around town for it. He's also super optimistic and believes that "Everything will always work out", and owns a dog named Diogee (D-O-G: "dog").

Several friends have recommended it to me, and I enjoyed it. I limited myself to just the one episode to get a taste of it, but once summer is here, perhaps I'll look into it a little more. Maybe my family would enjoy watching it with me as the series continues to unfold. We used to watch "Phineas and Ferb" together all the time. Could be a fun summer show!