Sunday, April 9, 2017

Vertigo

I was tired throughout a lot of the morning. Demetria suggested I go home and get more sleep. Yeah, that's not really my style. I'm glad I didn't, because there were many talks and lessons at church that were really good. After sacrament, I splashed some water on my face and felt fine for the rest of the day.

The girl who taught in relief society had invited her mom to speak to us at the end of the lesson. Shortly after the birth of her youngest daughter (the one who was giving the lesson today), she began to have serious problems involving vertigo. She couldn't stand up without feeling sick. Moving made her feel sick. This was obviously a problem given that she was mother to four or five children (including a newborn) who all had their specific needs and places to go. She saw doctors and made occasional visits to the temple. Still, she did not get better.

This went on for about five years. Then, one day, she went to the temple for a session of some sort, and asked God to help her, because she was struggling and didn't know what to do. No doctors could help her. She had kids to look after. A soft voice in her ear then said, "If you come to the temple every single week, I will take the vertigo away."

She was very surprised. In fact, she asked twice more. Maybe even three more times. The same answer. "I'll take it away if you come to the temple every week."

It seemed strange. Come to the temple, and this problem that the doctors hadn't been able to fix would be removed from her life? She replied, "Okay. I'll try."

The next morning, she woke up and slowly got out of bed. To her amazement, the vertigo didn't seem to be affecting her. She was able to cook breakfast for her kids and drive them all to school. But as grateful as she was, she felt a little troubled. Why, she wanted to know, didn't God tell her this the first time she went to the temple? If God had told her to go to the temple then, she would have gone. Why did she have to spend five years suffering this way?

It was a few more years before she got her answer. Her son was speaking in church, I think when he was about to leave on his mission. He spoke about how watching his mom struggle had strengthened his faith during a very difficult part of his life, and that he had a strong testimony of temple blessings and the gospel. As he spoke, the mom said that she felt the spirit nudge her and whisper, "That's why."

I thought it was a neat story and it reminded me of my mom saying she hopes she understands someday why her own mom had to die. It was a very good day to be at church.

Demetria and I headed home after that, and on the way I took a picture of this hill because I thought it looked nice:


Demetria reminded me tonight that our RA is conducting room checks tomorrow at 2:00. I don't totally love our RA. When she brought us the Easter basket, she reminded us about room checks too, and told us to put away our candles, drugs, and anything else we're not allowed to have before she comes by. Yeah, that's comforting to think that my neighbors could be hiding something that would hurt me. Demetria keeps trying to blow it off as "She's just trying to be the cool RA". I too am fully aware that she knows people will hide things anyway, so she's just trying to create less of a problem. Still, she does have a job to do...? Should she really be allowed to reap the benefits of not paying rent if she's going to act like this? Not loving it.

Anyway. Demetria and I cleaned, organized, and vacuumed tonight, and I enjoyed a bowl of ice cream with a warm cookie. Demetria said that some elderly people are moving into our rooms for the summer. That's kind of nice to know. I wondered if there might be rowdy boys in my room (which I'll be returning to in the fall) and hoped they wouldn't cause damage. Should be a lot fewer parties when older people are involved!