Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Last Chocolate Quiz and Parcheesi

My day felt busier than it actually might have been. For one thing, chocolate class is over, except for the final. I'll have to score pretty well on it to get a good grade in this class. I didn't do too well on that flavor quiz. I got all the True/False questions wrong. That does tend to happen with me.

This afternoon I went to see my teacher to talk about that research assistant position. His office is up eight sets of steps that one has to walk (elevator requires a special key). But I had the times mixed up: the meeting today was at 5:00, and the one for tomorrow was at 1:00 (which is the same time I'm meeting with his TA). That was a tad annoying, but totally my fault.

On the way to the 1:00 meeting I thought I had, I passed the Military Science building. They were handing out hot chocolate, but I really wanted to make it to the meeting, and didn't want to be taking sips of something if the meeting would be more of a discussion. So they asked me if I wanted a cup, but the question caught me off guard (I'd been expecting them to try selling me something) and I was distracted and in a rush, so I stuttered a lot and didn't make eye contact and kept walking. It was pretty embarrassing.

So as I was coming back from that imaginary research assistant meeting (It took me a few minutes to realize I had the times wrong), I knew I'd have to walk past the three guys again, although from the other direction. I walked right up to them and said, "I didn't want hot chocolate when I was going that way, but can I have some now?" I don't even like hot chocolate that much, but I had to redeem myself.

Unfortunately... I have this habit. When I wave to people, I do it with a single, sharp wave near my head. You know. Like a salute. To someone dressed in a military uniform. I hope he salutes to everyone and he wasn't just mocking me. And I hope he didn't interpret the gesture as something offensive, because I wasn't trying to salute. So that was mortifying. I almost started stuttering again, but luckily I maintained my composure.

So I got my hot chocolate. It was pretty full and dribbled a bit on my hand as I walked. I took a few sips, but I made the mistake of taking one that was too big. It burned my throat a bit, and scalded the tastebuds on the end of my tongue, I guess. They stung for the rest of the day. At least they weren't cold.

I felt a little guilty taking hot chocolate I didn't entirely want when someone else could have had it, but I did drink it all, and one of my classmates in Institute said that she had been "guilted" into getting a cup herself after she'd found out that the three military-uniform people were supposed to stay out there in the cold until all the hot chocolate was gone. That made me feel a little better. Luckily they didn't have to stand out in the snow or anything.

After Institute, I went home to study and work on some things, and came back later. The meeting was informative, and I can earn research credit for being a participant. It sounds like I'll be kept busy, doing six shifts a week. I do think this position is something that would be good for me to do, although I'm really concerned that I'll be taking 17 credits. All my other classes are at least 3 credits each, meaning that if I drop one, I'll be below 15 credits, and my scholarship won't cover me. That's obviously not an option. I guess I'll just have to buckle down and work hard.

I watched some deleted scenes from "Zootopia" after they came up on my "recommended" list on YouTube. They're fully animated and in color and everything, just like the rest of the film, so I wonder how long before the film was released they decided to pull them out. There was one of Judy jumping on the keyboard of a large animal at the ZPD, and having to reach across it to hit three keys at the same time. I liked that one.

I also really liked the scene where Judy and Nick first meet, in the ice cream parlor. It's interesting, because instead of the blatant racism against foxes/predators, the scene revolves around the elephant insisting that little baby Finnick couldn't possibly finish a jumbo pop by himself, which means it will drip on the floor and the elephant will have to clean it up.

Nick absolutely lays on the guilt in this one: "I must have left my wallet at the orphanage". "He's an orphan?" "He was, officer, but thirty minutes ago. I made the best decision of my life... Sorry, buddy, this must be the worst birthday ever." "And it's his birthday?" "That's right. The big four. Doc said he wouldn't make it past three, but he's my little fighter." "Wait. If it's his birthday, his ice cream should be free." "No, no. If there's one thing I want to teach my son, it's that in Zootopia, there are no free handouts. Even for this sweet, helpless orphan. Who is blind." Anyway, I thought they were great scenes. Shame.

I taught Demetria how to play Parcheesi tonight, and we played two games (I won both). She really enjoyed it, so we'll have to play again sometime. Even though I didn't get a wonderful score on my chocolate quiz, at least I'm doing okay. But I also have to worry about horticulture. I received a 94% on my garden essay. Not what I was hoping when my grade is riding this dangerously low.