Thursday, December 22, 2016

Cabin In Winter

Today was the day we came up to the family cabin. The plan was to leave early in the morning, but that rarely turns out. I got packed quickly enough. It helped that most of my clothes were still in the duffel I brought from Utah State. I played some Pokemon Sun to pass the morning, and I did dishes and cleaned some of the kitchen. I also baked some illustrated cookie dough cookies, with Christmas trees on them.

So when afternoon came around, we piled into the van for a four-hour drive. With a prayer, we were off. I continued with my Pokemon playing, and did a bit of drawing too. 

Eventually we stopped at a McDonald's in Wyoming ("the McDonald's", apparently, where we evidently often make stops). I got a chocolate shake and fries, which was pretty nice of Dad. I'm always up for shakes, even if I'm tentative about asking for them. Preston was disappointed that he didn't think to get in on that action.

From there it was still another two hours to the cabin. We pulled in around 10:30 or so, and Jorja and I chose to wait in the van at the bottom of the hill while the others hiked up to fetch the four-wheeler. The cabin is always freezing when you're the first arrivals, so I was in no rush to get up. Sure enough, I was the last one to gather up my things and ride up there, and it was still cold. It stayed that way for hours. Slowly but surely. 

I sat down in a chair and I think played more Pokemon until I fell asleep, I imagine. Matt and Sam rolled in with their kids close to midnight. Mom woke me up and helped me get settled down in the other room. Tomorrow it will be warmer, and busier. John and Cassie and Bubs and Ange are supposed to be arriving with their families, and there should be lots of sledding and games to play. That's what cabin life is all about!