Friday, December 30, 2016

Thwack!

Our day was made up of cleaning the cabin and making the long drive home. I got to clean the upstairs bathroom. Fun. The rest of my family wanted to get in a last round of sledding down the front hill before we left, but I contented myself with staying inside. The hill had gotten bumpier and bumpier as time went on, and the drop at the bottom was kind of steep and jarring (Apparently some kids "helped" with that by digging it steeper), and I'd ended on a good note with that three-hour Springs trip. I didn't feel like putting on my snow pants and going up and down a few more times, so I stayed inside and worked out the "Stars and Finches" magic system.

Apparently, it was good that I did. Mom decided to play "fun mom", and shortly after they had all gone outside, she hurried back in and informed me that there was "a lot of carnage" out there. After pulling everyone up the hill behind the four-wheeler, she made a curve and decided to go up a bump and down again. Bad idea. Gravity pulled the sledders, clinging on behind the four-wheeler via ropes, close to the huge four-wheeler treads. Mom sped up so no one would be smashed, Preston let go, and the wooden handle he was clinging to flung forward and caught Jorja in the face. Her lip swelled up. Ouch!

The wound was thick and red for a long time- 
surprisingly, it doesn't look so bad in this picture

Then we piled into the van and drove. We swung by Arby's and all got mint shakes that were pretty good, at around 9:30 we pulled into our driveway. The cabin is fun, but sometimes it's really nice to be back home!